Honey Whiskey Tart with Hazelnut Streusel
- 5-6 apples (medium-small sized. I used Galas)
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 cup butter 2 sticks
- 4 tablespoons honey, divided
- 4 tablespoons whiskey divided
- 2+1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup hazelnut flour
- 1+1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped raw hazelnuts
- Grease and flour a 10″ round tart pan. The tart pans with the lift-off bottom are the best.
- Peel and core the apples. Cut the flesh into small pieces.
- Heat the 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet. Add the apples and toss to load.
- Drizzle the honey over the apples and add the whiskey and mix to combine.
- Cook stirring for about 5 minutes. Let the apples simmer until most of the juice has evaporated, about 15 minutes until they start to brown. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Cut the remaining butter into small pieces
- Place the all-purpose flour, hazelnut flour, brown sugar, and salt in a bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Beat the egg with a fork or whisk in a small separate bowl and add to the streusel mix. Add the butter and use a fork or your hands to knead everything together to form a streusel.
- Separate out 1/3 of the streusel and press it into the pan forming a crust. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of whiskey over the top. Place the pan in the refrigerator and chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Remove the pan from the refrigerator. Evenly sprinkle the breadcrumbs over the bottom of the shell.
- Layer in the apple whiskey honey mixture evenly spreading it into the shell. Distribute the rest of the streusel evenly over the apples. Sprinkle the remaining tablespoon of whiskey over the top.
- Place the pan in the oven and bake for 30 minutes until the top starts to turn golden brown.
- Remove from oven. When the cake is cool enough to serve (15-20 minutes). Remove the cake from the pan, transfer to a cake plate.
- Drizzle the remaining tablespoon of home over the top and sprinkle with the chopped hazelnuts. Cut and serve.